2018 FIRE Summit
Friday, Feb. 9, 2018
South Puget Sound Community College
The FIRE Summit is a daylong experience designed to ignite Native youth, giving them a place to start dreaming while exploring their future academic possibilities. Middle school and high school students get to create and build relationships with college staff and faculty and other Native students while learning about possible career pathways.
The FIRE Summit started as an annual event ten years ago. It has grown into a partnership between South Puget Sound Community College and the four surrounding tribes: the Nisqually Tribe, the Squaxin Island Tribe, the Confederated Tribes of the Chehalis Reservation and the Skokomish Tribe.
For more information, contact Shanon Millman, Director of Tribal Programming, SPSCC.
2018 FIRE Summit Scholarship
Applications will be accepted February 14 – May 4, 2018, for three $1,000 FIRE Summit scholarships, available to any student who meets the following criteria:
- Have participated in an indigenous and/or cultural activity (canoe journey, powwow or past FIRE Summit event) or who is registered to attend the 2018 FIRE Summit
- Are a current high school student, Running Start student or current SPSCC student
- Are applying to SPSCC for Fall Enrollment, 2018
Award recipients will be announced and notified by the end of May 2018 to be awarded in time for Fall 2018 enrollment.
Steps to Apply
- Begin an online scholarship application by creating an Academic Works General Application account at https://spscc.academicworks.com/
- Acquire a copy of your high school transcript from the counseling office. (Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.)
- Acquire two letters of recommendation.
- Write your personal essay.
- Answer the FIRE SUMMIT question in the Supplemental Questions section of the General Application.
- Upload all documents to the online General Application.
- Check your college email address for award announcements once the application cycle closes.
If you have questions or would like assistance in completing your application, please contact: