Lacey Core is an exciting way for you as a first-year college student to build credits toward your degree while having your classes interconnected and focused on a real world theme.
You will enjoy classes taught by a team of professors who plan and coordinate assignments, readings and activities that are related to a quarterly theme and real-life examples in order to enhance your classroom experience, and make the most of your classroom and homework time.
Your core experience culminates each quarter in the Lacey Student Conference, where students share with peers and faculty their connection to the core curriculum.
Why choose Lacey Core?
- Core classes allow teachers to work together to integrate curriculum, materials, and assignments, and to sync due dates, which minimizes stress caused by competing deadlines in traditional classes.
- Block scheduling allows for 2 or 4-day class weeks that help manage school, work, and home balance.
- Student support services are integrated into every class, which minimizes out-of-class time needed to get help with advising and learning support.
- Students have the opportunity to attend a free Lacey Luncheon that relates the quarterly theme into areas outside of the classroom.
Similar to traditional classes, you’ll have the opportunity to pick and choose courses each quarter that spark your interest and are necessary to complete your degree. But core classes offer significant differences that make them ideal for many transfer-oriented students.
Differences for 1st year transfer students
|Core Class Structure||Traditional Class Structure|
|Core classes, planned by instructors who work together||Single class, single instructor|
|Content and coursework built collaboratively & assignments or readings coordinated by the Core instructors to sync due dates||Content and coursework built individually by instructors & class materials, assignments, and due dates focused and specific to each class subject.|
|Offered in block schedules to allow for 2 or 4-day week, no Friday classes||Class times vary each quarter and follow a traditional 5-day daily schedule|
|Student support services always integrated into curriculum||Student support services occasionally integrated into curriculum|
|Students with common interests frequently work through Core together||Classmates largely variable in each class each quarter|
Ready for the Lacey Core Experience?
- Visit: Drop in to meet with an Educational Planner at our Lacey Campus to learn about upcoming classes. Walk-in and appointment times are available, with walk-in wait times generally less than 20 minutes. See Lacey Campus for hours and directions.
- Make an appointment: Prospective students can come to an Admissions Info Session or Campus Tour, or meet with an Outreach Representative. See Visit Campus for info session dates and times or to schedule a meeting.
- Contact us: If you can’t make it to campus, call 360-709-2033 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.