Running Start Placement & Eligibility

Running Start allows 11th and 12th grade high school students to take college-level courses. Running Start credits can count toward high school graduation requirements.

Any public, private, or home school student eligible for junior or senior status (11th or 12th grade) who places into or has completed ENGL& 101 is eligible for Running Start. Students can place into ENGL& 101 several ways. See Running Start Placement. The student should be enrolled in a public school district for funding purposes.

Students who want to take math courses or a course that has a math prerequisite must show that they have met the prerequisite to enter the course. Students can meet these prerequisites several ways. See Running Start Placement.

Current or Continuing Running Start Eligibility

Running Start students have imposed funding limits that restrict the total number of classes they can take through the Running Start program.

The funding limits table is available on the Running Start verification form and should be used by students to create their high school and college schedules.

Students must fill out a new Running Start verification form each quarter. Continuing students may register online or in person. Steps for applying to Running Start are available here.