Computer Support I
Credits: 36 | Length of Program: 2 quarters
Subject: Information Technology Support
Computer Support I - Certificate of Proficiency
Coursework begins with an introduction to networking, client/server operating systems and computer hardware. A steady progression follows to more advanced subject matter in these areas.
Job opportunities can be found in both public and private sectors. Students who earn their AAS degree will be exposed to current tools and techniques for implementing solutions for customers in network environments. The continuing advancement of technology creates a demand for skilled technicians who can provide immediate support in these areas. Typical job titles include Network Administrator, Network Technician and Helpdesk Support/Desktop Technician. See Information Technology » Information Technology Computer Support for more career and employment information.
At the completion of the Information Technology Computer Support Program, the successful student will be able to:
- Utilize applied skills with fundamental concepts to achieve design, planning, deployment and management goals where systems related technology and services are employed
- Demonstrate clear and concise communication throughout the management hierarchy through the use of oral and written forms
- Demonstrate an understanding of industry related mathematical concepts used to achieve results where configuration and troubleshooting of technical systems is required
- Practice and apply appropriate legal standards and mandates reflecting the most current laws and regulations in regard to technical system support
- Demonstrate the ability to participate in diverse team environments while engaged in technical projects
- Install, configure and maintain client hardware and software
- Effectively troubleshoot hardware and software in “end user” environments
- Maintain and monitor customer service at helpdesk tier level one
Effective Catalog Year 2019-2020
The Computer Support I certificate program takes a minimum of two quarters of full-time studies for the certificate of proficiency.
After completing initial enrollment counseling at South Puget Sound Community College it is important to contact a program advisor as soon as possible.