Basic Welding Skills - Certificate of Achievement
Automotive, Welding & Machining Pathway
17 Credits | 2 Quarters
Work with leading-edge tools and equipment to solve problems and get creative across several growing trades. Auto technician, machinist, or welder—set a target on your career via our Automotive, Welding, and Manufacturing Pathway.
This certificate prepares students for entry-level positions in welding as an apprentice or shop helper. The competency-based curriculum combines classroom instruction with hands-on training to develop foundational knowledge and skill in select welding and cutting processes.
At the completion for the Welding Technology Program, the successful student will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, analyze, and synthesize relevant data to problem solve in a welding environment
- Demonstrate effective oral, written, and graphical communication skills appropriate to the welding industry
- Demonstrate measuring methods and apply mathematical concepts to solve problems related to welding
- Apply the appropriate ethical standards and practices of the welding industry
- Demonstrate the ability to identify the values, beliefs, and practices of a multicultural workforce and collaborate with diverse groups across a variety of knowledge and skill levels and perspectives
In addition, students who complete the program will demonstrate the following skills standards specific to Welding Technology:
- Evaluate potential hazards and apply procedures to maintain workplace safety
- Select and operate tools and equipment used in welding and metal fabrication
- Perform thermal cutting and gouging processes to industry standards
- Perform Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) to industry standards
- Perform Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW) to industry standards
- Perform Flux Cored Arc Welding (FCAW) to industry standards
- Perform Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) to industry standards
- Identify materials and apply metallurgy knowledge to solve practical welding problems
- Interpret drawings including welding symbols and make accurate calculation
In addition to textbooks, it costs approximately $900 upon entry into the program for personal protective equipment, tools, and supplies.