Gas Metal Arc Welding
Credits: 45 | Length of Program: 3 quarters
Subject: Welding Technology
Gas Metal Arc Welding - Certificate of Proficiency
The Welding Technology Program is designed to prepare students for entry-level employment in welding and related occupations. The competency-based curriculum combines classroom instruction with extensive hands-on training and practical exercises to develop knowledge and skill in the most common welding and metal cutting processes used in industry.
Graduates may work in manufacturing, the construction trades, or in maintenance and repair positions. Some welders may work as “fitters” or “fabricators” who interpret drawings, plan projects, and use a variety of tools and machines to complete work. With experience and a strong technical background, welders may advance into leadership positions or within quality control. See Automotive, Welding, & Manufacturing » Welding Technology for more career and employment information.
At the completion for the Welding Technology Program, the successful student will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, analyze, and synthesize relevant data to problem solve in a welding environment
- Demonstrate effective oral, written, and graphical communication skills appropriate to the welding industry
- Demonstrate measuring methods and apply mathematical concepts to solve problems related to welding
- Apply the appropriate ethical standards and practices of the welding industry
- Demonstrate the ability to identify the values, beliefs, and practices of a multicultural workforce and collaborate with diverse groups across a variety of knowledge and skill levels and perspectives
In addition, students who complete the program will demonstrate the following skills standards specific to Welding Technology:
- Evaluate potential hazards and apply procedures to maintain workplace safety
- Select and operate tools and equipment used in welding and metal fabrication
- Perform thermal cutting and gouging processes to industry standards
- Perform Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) to industry standards
- Perform Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW) to industry standards
- Perform Flux Cored Arc Welding (FCAW) to industry standards
- Perform Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) to industry standards
- Identify materials and apply metallurgy knowledge to solve practical welding problems
- Interpret drawings including welding symbols and make accurate calculations
Effective Catalog Year 2019-2020
The Gas Metal Arc Welding Certificate can be completed in three quarters.
Include textbooks plus approximately $900.00 upon entry into the program for personal protective equipment, tools, and supplies.