Welcome College Bound scholars!
The College Bound Scholarship (CBS) was created in 2007 to provide state financial aid to low-income students who may not consider college a possibility due to cost. The CBS typically covers tuition, some fees, and provides a small book allowance. You can use your College Bound Scholarship to attend SPSCC.
The Washington State Achievement Council (WSAC) determines eligibility for CBS in a student's 7th or 8th grade year. When a student graduates high school and begins college application process, WSAC and FAFSA will do a second income-based determination of a student's CBS eligibility, using the FAFSA's EFC and other requirements.
- Graduate high school with at least a 2.0 GPA. Remember, the CBS does not guarantee admission to college and some colleges may require a higher GPA for entry.
- Apply for admission to college.
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the end of February.
- Meet income guidelines (see chart below).
To receive the award, the CBS student’s family income must fall within 65% of the state’s Median Family Income (MFI) and is verified annually by filing the FAFSA.
File your FAFSA on time and online!
The FAFSA is the primary application for all student aid and is used for federal and state grants, work-study, and other assistance. The FAFSA will determine your income eligibility to receive the College Bound award.
Receive Notification from the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC)
The state agency that received your College Bound application and will work with colleges to pay your scholarship. The WSAC receives your FAFSA information and will notify you via email (the one you listed on your FAFSA) once the information is matched to your College Bound application.
The Financial Aid Office Determines Your Award
Your name will be sent to South Puget Sound Community College if you listed it on your FAFSA verifying that you are a College Bound Scholar.
The financial aid office will:
- Determine if your income (as reported on the FAFSA) meets the income eligibility guidelines.
- Calculate your financial aid award.
- Send you an award letter after you have been accepted to the college indicating how much financial aid you will receive.
Your College Bound Scholarship award will combine with other state and federal financial aid you may be eligible to receive to provide an award equal to tuition, with funds left over to assist you with other college expenses.