Guidance for Students

COVID Requirements for Students

Masks Welcome On Campus

Masks are welcome and encouraged inside SPSCC buildings, but not required in most areas. There may be some instances where students or staff are required to wear masks, such as in clinical settings or in certain class sections (students in those classes will receive notice from the instructor).


Students must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend face-to-face and hybrid classes, participate in athletics, receive in-person support services, or attend on-campus events.

Students who do not provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption before the start of the quarter will be un-enrolled from any class that has a face-to-face component.

Students can request a vaccination exemption due to disability or conflict with a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. Students enrolled only in online or virtual classes with no face-to-face requrements are automatically exempted from this requirement.

Verify Your Vaccination Status in mySPSCC >
Login with ClipperID required

You'll be asked to complete a form and upload a document or image (ie. JPEG, PNG, PDF) of your:

  • CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card; or
  • WA State Certificate of COVID-19 Vaccination; or
  • WA State Immunization Information System Printout.

Getting Vaccinated

Students are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving their final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine (the second dose of Pfizer or Moderna or single dose of Johnson & Johnson). Walk-in vaccination events are happening daily throughout Thurston County or you can search for a pharmacy or healthcare provider near you at

What to Do if You are Sick

Any student who is experiencing COVID-19-like symptoms or who tests positive for COVID-19 (even if asymptomatic) should notify a faculty member as soon as possible and seek medical attention.

Common Questions

Vaccination Verification

I verified my vaccination status last quarter. Do I need to verify again for next quarter?

No. Once you have completed your verification or received approval for an exemption you will not have to re-verify for future quarters.

How can I request an exemption?

You can request an exemption using the verification form in mySPSCC (login with ClipperID required).

If I am granted a medical or religious exemption can I still come to campus?

Students who work with Student Services administration and are granted a medical or religious exemption may be allowed to attend face-to-face classes and activities, but, through March 25, 2022, must wear a face covering at all times and socially distance wherever possible.

After March 26, 2022, masks will be encouraged, but not required, even for students who have been granted vaccine exemptions. There may be some instances where students are still required to wear masks, such as in clinical settings or in certain classes where a college-approved exception is required.

What will be accepted as proof of vaccination?

The Washington Department of Health identifies three primary items as valid proof of COVID-19 vaccination:

  • CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card; or
  • WA State Certificate of COVID-19 Vaccination; or
  • WA State Immunization Information System Printout.

These items are described in more detail in this Visual Guide to Official Washington State Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination.

What types are vaccines are allowed?

SPSCC will accept proof of any vaccine that was authorized for use in the United States when the student received the vaccine. We will work on a case-by-case basis with students who received a vaccine that is not approved for use in the United States.

I am enrolled in a hybrid class. Does this requirement apply to me?

If your hybrid class has a face-to-face component, you are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Some hybrid classes are a mix of online and face-to-face, while others are a mix of online and virtual formats. You can check what type of class you're enrolled in in the mySPSCC portal.

COVID Exposure, Symptoms, and Quarantine

I think I was exposed to COVID. When should I quarantine?

Currently, the CDC recommends that anyone who has symptoms of COVID-19 should get tested, regardless of their vaccination status. While awaiting test results, you should stay off campus and away from others as much as possible.

In the event of a confirmed exposure to COVID-19, current CDC quarantine guidelines indicate that people who are up-to-date on COVID-19 vaccinations do not need to quarantine unless they have symptoms. However, they should still get tested at least 5 days after a known exposure, even if they don’t have symptoms. 

People who are not up-to-date on COVID-19 vaccinations should quarantine if they have been in close contact (within 6 feet of someone for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period) with someone who has COVID-19.  

SPSCC will work closely with anyone who has been instructed by a medical provider or public health agency to quarantine or asked (by SPSCC) to remain off campus to find the best way for that person to maintain their academic progress, complete their work remotely, or maintain their income through the use of leave or other available benefits.

I tested positive for COVID. When can I come back to campus?

If you test positive for COVID or were sick and think you had COVID, follow CDC and Department of Health isolation guidelines to determine when you can return to campus.

The guidelines are subject to change, but in general you can return after:

  • Isolating for at least 5 days after your first full day of symptoms or the day you test positive; and
  • Being fever-free for at least 24 hours.

If your symptoms last longer than 5 days, then you can return after your symptoms improve and you have been fever-free for at least 24 hours.

COVID Resources

Is there COVID funding to help me pay bills or tuition?

Students experiencing financial challenges due to the ongoing pandemic should connect with our Personal Support Center to get connected with other college and community resources.

What should I do if I don't have Internet at home?

Comcast is offering two months of free internet service to low-income households.

Also, some phone companies are offering increased data plans at no cost to create wifi hotspots at home. Check with your cell provider to see if they’re offering this service.

SPSCC WiFi: WiFi is available on the first floor of Building 22. WiFi has been expanded to reach parking lots close to buildings at the SPSCC Olympia Campus. We recommend parking lot J if you want to access WiFi on campus from your car.

Other public WiFi: If you can't get reliable internet access at home, try using a public WiFi hotspot from a safe place, such as your car, at places like a Timberland Regional Library (check in with your local branch first) or an Xfinity WiFi hotspot (Comcast has currently made them open access).

Security note: Before you use public WiFi, make sure your antivirus or malware protection is turned on and current. Don’t save passwords in the browser and use private/incognito windows whenever possible. Be extra aware of phishing attempts, especially messages about COVID-19.

Olympia Campus

How can I buy or return books from the bookstore?

The bookstore is open online. Go to bookstore website >

Books, supplies, laptops, and Chromebooks are stocked and available to students with free shipping.

If you have an outstanding rental, you can return it using a free shipping label through your account on the bookstore website. If you have problems, contact bookstore manager Scott Cahill at

Can I get food on campus?

Currently, food is not available on campus.

The Food Pantry has on-campus pick up options available. A list of all pickup events can be found on the Thurston County Food Bank website.

Can my club or group hold in-person events on campus?

Yes. There are no restrictions on size or type of event. However, you can make your event as safe as possible when you:

  • Use a larger space than you need. Schedule gatherings in spaces that are larger than you think you need to allow for comfortable spacing and maximum airflow. There are no formal social distancing guidelines.
  • Book your space using 25Live. Work with your advisor or faculty member to use 25Live to find available spaces, including the capacity for each space. 25Live is also used by Facilities and Security to ensure that spaces are properly cleaned after use and that items like sanitizer and disposable masks are available in spaces where gatherings will be held. If you need help using 25Live, please contact Sam Kreiger.
  • Verify attendees have completed their vaccination verification. Anyone participating in an on-campus gathering must be fully vaccinated or properly exempted.
    • Employees - All current employees have provided proof of vaccination or have received an exemption from HR. You do not need to re-verify current employees.
    • Students - Students taking classes with a face-to-face component, student athletes, and students living in campus-managed housing have provided proof of vaccination or have received and exemption from Student Services so you do not need to re-verify these students. If you aren't sure if a student is verified, you can check their verification status in Compass. If they haven't completed their verification, they will need to show proof of vaccination to participate in your gathering.
    • Visitors - Complete details are available in the "Visitors" section of our COVID-19 webpage.

If you are planning a gathering, it is your responsibility to ensure that masking and vaccination rules are followed. For more information and suggestions, you can review this Safer Gatherings information from the Department of Health.


Support to our Asian community members

Since the pandemic began, our Asian community members have been battling racial bias, discrimination, and various assaults. This is unacceptable.

COVID-19 is not specific to any ethnicity or race. Racist behaviors, harassment, and discrimination are not tolerated at SPSCC.

If you experience harassment or discrimination while on campus, we encourage you to report it using this BIAS Incident Report form.