International Student Services Jobs
Learn more about available jobs in the International Student Services Office
The international peer mentor is a student staff position that provides support for SPSCC international students. The mentor’s primary role is to help keep international students enrolled at SPSCC (retention) by using college resources to engage, lead, guide, and mentor toward students’ academic goals.
- Do I have to be an international student for this position
No! All students are encouraged to apply who have who have intercultural or global experiences, and that are aware of and passionate about complex issues that international students face.
- Coordinate 1-2 (on campus or off campus) social activities a month for mentees, on or off campus.
- Maintain list of mentees and establish contact at least 5-6 times each quarter per the following timeline:*
- Week 1: Check in on registration and beginning of quarter.
- Week 3: Check on class progress and need for early support (tutoring, etc.).
- Week 5: Check on course progression before mid-terms and need for support.
- Week 7: Check on registration for next quarter/ Steer students towards adviser.
- Week 9: Check-in before finals & End of quarter reflection/ celebration/ goal setting.
- Help students become familiar with college resources and direct mentees towards appropriate college resources, as the need arises.
- Be available for formal and informal interactions with both mentees and visitors to International Student Services.
- Attend all meetings with direct supervisor as required.
- Be available to give campus tours to prospective international students as needed.
- Stay current about community resources for students.
- Be accountable for reporting hours both in and out of the office each pay period.
- Maintain cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Must be a current student at SPSCC
- Must have strong interpersonal skills
- Must be self-motivated, independent, and comfortable speaking publicly
- Must be punctual, accountable, and responsible
- Must have time management, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Must have a thorough knowledge of SPSCC resources, activities, and pathways
- Experience with studying abroad or knowledge of issues that international students face
- Must be interested in growing as a leader
- Have previously attended International Student Association Club or International Student Services events, meetings, or programs
- Second year (minimum 45 academic credit hours completed) students are preferred, but other qualified applicants will be considered
Academic Year (Fall, Winter, Spring) International Peer Mentor Positions
- 5 positions available
- Enrolled in minimum 6 credits each quarter (12 credits for international students unless on approved vacation quarter than 6 credits is okay)
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 of higher
- Commit to a year-long position
- Must be available for fall training that occurs in late August and early September
- Must be available for new international student orientations each quarter
- Up to 10 hours per week
Academic Year Hiring Timeline
- April 5: Application opens
- April 29: Application deadline
- May 4-6: Interviews
- May 21: Positions hired
- End of August - Early September: Training begins
Click here for available student jobs at SPSCC