Apply for a U.S. Visa
Once you’ve been accepted to SPSCC, you should apply for a U.S. Visa as soon as possible. Visit U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for step-by-step instructions on how to navigate the student visa process. Many consulates recommend that you make an appointment no more than 90 days from the intended date of travel, but some can make earlier arrangements for interviews.
Students already studying in the U.S. must complete the Transfer Verification Form and submit it along with a copy of your Student Visa and I-20 during the application process to SPSCC.
Select and apply for your preferred housing option as soon as possible and before you arrive on campus. See International Housing information for options while attending SPSCC and notify us of your preference once you have visa confirmation.
Attend a Pre-Departure Orientation in Your Country
EducationUSA Advising Centers in your country may offer a free pre-departure orientation session for students attending colleges and universities in the United States. Visit the EducationUSA website to find a center in your area and learn more.
Planning for Orientation and Registration
New students are required to attend an orientation and registration session to register for classes at SPSCC. Make sure your arrival date is before the orientation date. You may arrive in the United States as soon as 30 days before the start of classes. Please refer to your acceptance letter for your orientation date.
Get Health Insurance
We require that all international students have health insurance that meets a minimum requirement. You may purchase a health insurance policy from the College’s health insurance provider when you arrive. Instead, you may purchase a health insurance policy from your home country as long as it meets or exceeds the minimum requirement and is written in English and U.S. dollars.
What is the minimum health insurance requirement?
The medical insurance plan from your home country must meet or exceed the following minimum standards:
- Maximum benefit up to $100,000 per illness or injury.
- Coverage provided anywhere in the United States.
- Medical evacuation back to your home country up to $50,000.
- Repatriation of remains up to $25,000.
Who is SPSCC’s preferred insurance provider?
Firebird International Insurance Group provides a health insurance policy for purchase for our international students.
- Student: $366 per quarter
- Spouse of student: $732 per quarter
- Children of student (under 18): $366 per quarter
Visit the Firebird website for more information or call them at 1-800-899-4233.
Getting to Campus
Before you leave your country, please read the U.S. government’s information about the procedures for entering the United States.
Olympia is located about 45 minutes from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (airport code SEA).
- Shuttle Service: Capital Aeroporter offers shuttle service for about $42.00. Arrange for service before you arrive by visiting the Capital Aeroporter website.
- Bus Route: IntercityTransit provides a connected bus route from the airport to Olympia, although travel time is over two hours and involves multiples stops and bus transfers.
- Car Route: View driving directions to SPSCC from the airport on Google Maps.