Improve Your English Before College
SPSCC's Intensive English Program (IEP) will help you improve your English proficiency for use in academics, business, communication, careers, and culture. You will receive personal attention, a conversation partner to improve your speaking, free tutoring, and access to the College's writing center for support with your written assignments. Advantages of IEP include:
- Complete 4 levels of instruction from beginning to advanced
- 18 hours of intensive instruction each week
- No English Proficiency Score is required. Students can take the English Placement Test during International Student Orientation.
There are four levels to the program, from beginning through advanced. Students can earn an Intensive English Program Completion Certificate. Classes include:
- Language Conventions and Grammar
- Speaking and Listening
English Placement Test
Students will take an English placement test upon arrival at a new student orientation. Most international students take the Levels of English Proficiency (LOEP) placement test especially designed for non-native speakers of English. LOEP consists of the following four sections:
- Reading Skills (20 questions)
- Sentence Meaning (20 questions)
- Language Usage (20 questions)
- Writing section
Students who satisfy one of the approved English Proficiency Requirements may take the standard college placement test and register for academic courses. Students who meet one of these requirements will not be required to participate in the Intensive English Program.