Legal ties to Washington state

Legal ties consist of a driver's license, vehicle registration, voter's registration, bank account, and lease/home purchase agreement.

Do I need to have all of the legal ties switched over?

Yes, all of the legal ties must be switched over if they were established in another state.

How long do I have to establish legal ties in the state of Washington?

You must establish all legal ties within the first 30 days of arrival.

If I do not own/ use a vehicle, do I need a vehicle registration?

No, you do not need a vehicle registration if you do not use or own a vehicle.

If I have never registered to vote, do I need to register in Washington?

No, students do not need to register if they have never registered in any other state.