Residency for independent vs. dependent students

Residency for financially dependent students

If you are financially dependent upon your parents or legal guardians, you must provide documentation to prove your parents/legal guardians have established a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington. You must also provide documentation to show that you are a dependent who is claimed by the parents/legal guardians on their most recent U.S. Federal Income Tax return.

If your parents or legal guardians are either divorced or legally separated, you may be classified as residents if:

  • You are claimed as a dependent on the most recent U.S. Federal Income Tax return by one of your parents/legal guardians.
  • At least one of your parents or legal guardian has established a bona fide domicile in the State of Washington. You and your parents/legal guardians both need to fill out the Residence Questionnaire and all of the documentation required should be from your parent/legal guardian.

Residency for financially independent students

If you are younger than 25 and financially independent, you must establish a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington if your parents or court-appointed legal guardians do not reside in Washington. You must provide documentation showing independent status along with your Residence Questionnaire and submitting:

  • Your parents' most recent tax return (limited to the first page showing dependents claimed and the signature page).
  • Verification of year-to-date earnings (your most recent pay stub with year-to-date earnings listed). Students may be requested to submit their most recent tax return to establish financial independence. (If you did not file a tax return, you should complete the Residency Income and Expense Report.)

Note: A married student applying for residency status should apply as a financially independent student. See Establishing a Bona Fide Domicile for more information.