It is the policy of South Puget Sound Community College, in accordance with the policies of the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges, that all state-funded courses at SPSCC must have on file by the census date for the course an electronic copy of a syllabus for that course. More specifically, all faculty at SPSCC will create an electronic syllabus for each class to be posted and stored publicly in a manner directed by the College.
All syllabi will include, at a minimum, the following information in electronic format:
A. Course-specific items:
- The course title as it is shown on the Course Outline
- Credit hours
- Catalog description as it appears on the Course Outline
- Course prerequisites, co-requisites, or permissions
- College-Wide Abilities addressed in the course
- Course-Level Student Learning Outcomes
B. Professor-specific items:
- The name of the Professor(s)
- Course modality (In-person, Online, Virtual, or Hybrid)
- Class meetings times (quarter, dates, etc.) and locations (room, Zoom, etc.)
- Professor email address
- Additional contact information (phone, location, student hours) as applicable or note if none
- Required texts or materials or note if none
- Methods of evaluation, class-specific grading scales, and general overview and weighting of assignments
- Schedule of major class events or location of course calendar
- Policies for late or make-up assignments
C. Optional items:
- Other class-specific policies which may include attendance, tardiness, academic dishonesty, technology, communication, participation, behavioral expectations and consequences, or other course-specific policies. Note that these must be included in the syllabus to be enforceable.
- Other items as deemed appropriate by the instructor.
D. College items
- “Additional SPSCC college-wide policies and resources can be found under the College Resources and Help link in Canvas.”
To maintain consistent syllabus information and meet SBCTC and legal requirements.
This policy applies to faculty, deans, and the division administrative assistants.