Do you want to be an exceptional teacher for children? By studying Early Childhood Education at SPSCC, you will be a part of a diverse group of students who want to be part of teaching children between ages birth and 8. You will work with professors and teachers who are long-time and current practitioners of early childhood care in classes that are rooted both in theory and in practical, real-world experience.
What’s different at SPSCC?
Studies are flexible to fit into your life. Our program offers a combination of face-to-face, hybrid, and online courses. Classes are held in the day and evenings, so you can work while you study toward your career in early childhood education.
Instructors are focused on you. Instructors are passionate and knowledgeable in early childhood education and Washington State requirements for educators. Get advising support from instructors and build relationships that will last into your career.
Get scholarships to study. There are scholarships available for students already working in the childcare field, and some for those that are just starting out in the field.
Careers in Early Childhood Education
Federal labor statistics expect a faster-than-average growth in this field over the next ten years due to continued focus on the importance of education in early childhood. Successful graduates can find work as teachers in preschools, Head Start programs, child care facilities, or as a teacher assistant in an elementary school, and more. Students who want to transfer to 4-year schools may want to look into programs in Early Childhood, Human Development, and Social Services.
Career overview, pay rate, work environment, and more (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics):
- Preschool teachers
- Childcare workers
- Preschool and childcare center directors
- Kindergarten and elementary school teachers
Degrees & Certificates
- Early Childhood Education (Associate in Applied Science)
- Early Childhood Education - AAS-T (Associate in Applied Science -- T)
- State Early Childhood Education (Certificate of Completion)
- State Short Early Childhood Education - Administration (Certificate of Proficiency)
- State Short Early Childhood Education - Family Child Care (Certificate of Proficiency)
- State Short Early Childhood Education - Infant and Toddlers (Certificate of Proficiency)
- State Short Early Childhood Education - School Age Care (Certificate of Proficiency)
Department/Division ContactSocial Sciences and Business