Do you want to increase your skills in parenting and experience a healthier family life? Being a parent is one of life’s most significant and rewarding challenges, but most parents receive little training to handle the task of raising a family. SPSCC is here to help you meet your needs – you will take part in a long-standing, successful program that educates parents and caregivers for their vital role while providing strong early learning experiences for the children in their care.
Benefits for Parents and Caregivers
Parenting Education classes help adult students become more effective and satisfied in their roles by helping them understand child behavior, by encouraging the recognition of developmentally appropriate activities, by assisting in acquiring valuable information in areas which affect the welfare of the “whole child,” and by teaching methods that help children develop responsibility.
What’s different at SPSCC?
Our program offers:
- Hands-on laboratory experience for parenting students.
- High quality learning experiences and environments for young children.
- Instructors who are passionate about the field and know what you need to create healthy, effective families.
- Once-a-week parent-child classes or preschool programs to meet the needs of different families.
- Relationships within the Parenting Education program that students can carry into their future.
- Scholarships for students.
Choices at SPSCC
We offer two parenting education class options to meet your needs:
- Co-op Preschool Parenting Education: children enroll in a co-op preschool and parents enroll in a concurrent parenting education course(s).
- Parent-Child Parenting Education: adult students and their children attend a once-a-week class together.
Co-op Preschool Parenting Education
SPSCC Cooperative Preschool Parenting Education classes provide a shared learning experience for parents and their children from two through five years of age. Four SPSCC cooperative preschools operate from convenient locations in the Olympia area. Each school is an independent, non-profit entity run by a board and includes a skilled preschool teacher, the children’s parents/caregivers, and a parenting education faculty member.
- Capitol Forest Cooperative Preschool
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org / 360-459-5297
- Eastside Co-op Preschool
- Contact: email@example.com / 360-218-4470
- Steamboat Island Cooperative Preschool
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org / 360-866-1819
- Westside Cooperative Preschool
- Contact: email@example.com / 360-866-7383
Parents/Caregivers are involved in their child's early education experience by participating in the parent-operated cooperative preschool laboratory as an assistant teacher where their child is enrolled and at parent-only classes taught by the parenting educator — an SPSCC faculty member. The instructor also advises and supports the lab experience of adult students as they practice the skills they are learning while being assistant teachers in their child’s preschool.
Parent-Child Parenting Education
SPSCC Parent-Child Parenting Education classes provide a shared learning experience for parents and their children from birth through five years of age. Located at the SPSCC Library (Bldg. 22, Floor 1), our courses offer parents and children to learn together in a lab setting. Adult students and their children attend classes once a week together. The adults spend time in lectures with the parenting education faculty, while their children enjoy an age-appropriate learning experience with a highly qualified children’s teacher. Parents spend time each class working in the classroom with the children, practicing the skills they are learning.
Career and employment prospects
Check out Career Coach to discover careers related to your interests in this subject. Learn more about what you'll do in the industry, how much you can earn, and view job postings in and around Thurston County.
Degrees & Certificates
Department/Division ContactSocial Sciences and Business