The Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Center (DEIC) is committed to support the college mission to advance equity and embrace diversity.
The staff at the DEIC will lead efforts that foster engagement between diverse groups, nurture a culture of inclusion and individual development, and intentionally support our student’s educational success.
The Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Center will:
- Be a strong advocate for diversity and inclusion.
- Provide expertise and leadership on diversity and inclusion related matters; for example, engagement, retention, and learning.
- Lead College-wide programming efforts, resulting in a collaborative and inclusive vision of diversity and inclusion.
- Identify strategies to enhance and nurture the compositional diversity profile and inclusive experience of students, faculty, and staff.
- Provide resources and direction for infusing diversity into the curriculum.
- Strategically design and implement the Center’s programs to increase student retention and completion.
DEIC Student Workers:
Michael Green, Student Worker, DEIC
DEIC Peer Mentors are mentors who reach out to welcome new students. In addition to planning events and activities for the SPSCC community, Peer Mentors keep the DEIC open and maintain its positive and inclusive atmosphere.
The Brownbag Chats program meets every week on Wednesdays at 3:00 pm in the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Center (Building 22, 2nd floor). Students, staff and faculty engage in dialogue about current news or polarizing social issues related to the impact of racism, sexism, heterosexism, ableism and other forms of oppression. With a format and set of protocols that guide discussions, participants learn to exchange and hear various perspectives and lived experiences in a safe and respectful space.