The Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Center (DEIC) peer mentor is a student staff member who provides leadership for SPSCC students associated with the DEIC learning community. The peer mentor's primary role is focused on student retention by providing the leadership, guidance, and mentorship necessary to effectively support mentees' quarter-to-quarter retention. DEIC peer mentorship is a Fall-Spring quarter program.
- Maintain a minimum (quarterly) grade point average of 3.0 cumulative
- Second year (minimum 45 credit hours completed) students are preferred, but other qualified applicants will be considered
- Must be a current SPSCC student
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of SPSCC resources and pathways
- Highly aware of diversity & social justice complex issues
- Must possess leadership skills
- Comfortable speaking publicly
- Must be available to attend Peer Mentor training during first week of fall quarter
- Must be able to attend, and participate in, yearlong Diversity Leadership Institute (DLI)
- Have attended a scheduled DEIC event/conference/workshop
- Must have completed a humanities course or a course around under represented populations (Ex: People of Color, LGBTQ, etc.)
- Clerical experience (Ex: writing, organized, typing, time management, problem solving
- Coordinate one social activity a month for the program participants.
- Maintain participant email list and provide information about the learning community to all members through this list.
- Help students become familiar with college resources; advise and refer residents to appropriate college resources, as the need arises.
- Attend DLI trainings and co-facilitate a min. of 1 DLI workshop.
- Must develop and facilitate a student lead program with the other peer mentors/ student workers.
- Maintain a total of 15 office hours per week. (Post office hours inside the DEIC/Outlook calendar and provide availability information to participants via email.)
- Meet individually with students a minimum of once a month and submit monthly reports.
- Be available for formal and informal interaction with the students in the program.
- Attend all meetings with DEIC or Student Services staff as required.
- Class visits to discuss the DEIC.
- Each Mentor must attend a total of three events per quarter.
- Mentors must table three times a quarter to promote the peer mentor program.
- Must help with cleaning the center.
- Be aware of outside resources for students.
- Must mentor a total of 3 students per quarter/ must have a total of 9 mentees for the year.
Peer mentors receive an hourly wage of $12.00 per hour and work 15 hours a week. Demands on a peer mentor's time are many. After academics, the mentor position takes next priority; therefore, mentors are asked to consider potential conflicts with additional employment and consult with DEIC staff regarding work/life balance.
Questions about the peer mentor position or the application process should be directed to: Parfait Bassale, 360-596-5356, email@example.com.