Transfer Tips

Degree Types

  • Only certain types of degrees transfer. The Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Business, Associate of Elementary Education, Associate in Pre-Nursing, and Associate of Science (AS) degrees (Option 1&2) are intended to transfer to four-year universities in Washington. Some of these degrees are referred to as Direct Transfer Agreement Degrees (DTA’s).
  • Out-of-State colleges and universities may or may not accept courses and degrees the same way Washington state schools do.  Make sure to contact prospective schools early to find out how they accept SPSCC credit. 
  • The Associate in Applied Science-T (AAS-T) is a professional-technical degree with a core of general education courses commonly accepted in transfer. In general, professional-technical degrees are not designed for transfer to other colleges or universities, but several four-year colleges and universities have specific bachelor’s degree programs that accept the Associate in Applied Science-T (AAS-T) degree.  See your advisor for details.
  • The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees are generally designed to provide direct workforce skills and are not transferable. Certain AAS degrees may transfer to specific universities.

Look Out for Pitfalls

  • It is very helpful to decide your four-year major early on. Four-year universities will want you to be prepared to enter a major once you transfer.  Once you decide on your major, research universities that you may be interested in to determine what general education courses they recommend you take during your first two-years to prepare. 
  • If at all possible, finish your full transfer degree. If you complete your degree and receive a DTA, colleges will generally accept your credits as a “package.” If you do not complete a transfer degree, the receiving college can pick-and-choose classes they want to accept.
  • Be cautious of Elective credits. When choosing electives to satisfy your degree, it is always best to pick additional courses from the General Education List (GEL). Colleges have certain requirements when it comes to accepting  “gray-area” credits (those courses not on GEL).

Do Your Research

  • Explore Washington universities online.  Many colleges allow you to request information on their websites.  If you have a particular interest, printed materials can be found in the Student Welcome Center in Building 25.  
  • It is very important to check specific admission requirements. Look for minimum transfer GPA's, foreign language, and general education requirements. Also look for the specific course requirements for your bachelor’s degree.
  • If possible, visit the college. Check out the campus, residence halls and community. 

Get Ready, Apply

  • Look for  deadlines. You often have to apply to the university as well as the department in which you plan to major.
  • Order official transcripts from each college you have attended. It is always a good idea to order a copy for your records as well. Remember, universities will only accept official transcripts. The transcript must remain sealed in the original envelope. A copy of your high school transcript may also be required.
  • Remember to write the admissions essay, or “personal statement.”  This is your opportunity to introduce yourself, share why you want to attend the university you are applying for, and explain any circumstances or events that have influenced your educational experiences.  This is like an interview on paper.
  • Choose one or more colleges and apply for admission.  Application fees vary.

Find Financial Resources

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form after October 1 of the year you plan to attend.  You can also complete this form online at
  • Each university sets its own priority deadlines.  Most financial aid deadlines occur before March 1.  If you apply after that time, you may still be eligible to receive aid, but the amount you receive could be considerably less.
  • Research scholarships.  Check with the institution you plan to attend, your high school, your local library, local community organizations and the Internet.