A new program is brewing
Tell anyone in the Northwest that you are from Olympia and they usually connect it to the Olympia Brewery and historic brewhouse. And even though they no longer operate, they have set Thurston County apart as a center for brewing, distilling, and cider making.
Phenomenal growth in the craft beer, cider, and spirits industries has led to a lot of local buzz. Washington State, a national and global leader in these areas, provides an ideal location to further grow these industries. And just like any industry boom, education is needed to support the new workforce and funnel new jobs into the local economy.
That’s why SPSCC is excited to bring a new program with three areas of focus to our South Sound community: Craft Brewing and Distilling.
What SPSCC is doing
Building world-class educational programs
SPSCC has worked with the community and a board of industry advisors to build a program outline for Craft Brewing and Distilling (which also includes cider-making). Cider Making and Brewing programs are set to launch in Fall 2017 with Distilling to follow one year later in Fall 2018.
Developing state-of-the-art craft beverage facilities
Every new program needs the space to learn and complete labs in. SPSCC, in collaboration with the City of Tumwater, is seeking a public/private partnership to develop the facilities needed for education, business incubators, and industry support. This space is forecasted to created 662 jobs locally with ripple effects across agriculture, supply chain and business sectors.
Offering non-credit classes to the community
In addition to program-building, the college has been building relationships with local craft beverage makers and gauging community interest by offering non-credit classes in brewing and distilling classes for more than a year.
Classes at SPSCC
- Backyard Hops: Growing for Home or Market
- Behind the Brew ~ Olympia Bike and Beer Tour
- Brewing Science For The Home Brewer - IPA
- So You Want To Start A Brewery
- Whiskey Appreciation Certificate
- Whiskey Server Training
- Everything Cider!
- Cider and Perry - A Foundation
- Thurston Talk local events list
- Olympia Brew Fest - August 5, 2017
- Tumwater Artesian Brewfest - August 19, 2017
Want to stay connected to what's happening?
Visit the Craft Brewing and Distilling Center website.
Learn about the Historic Brewing Tower and its future.
SPSCC is part of an Innovation Partnership Zone, led by the Thurston Economic Development Council, for Craft Brewing and Distilling, focused on creating opportunities for expansion and growth in this industry.
- Sandstone Distillery
- Three Magnets Brewing
- Top Rung Brewing Company
- Whitewood Cider
- Parsons Family Farm
- Fish Brewing Company
- Matchless Brewing
- Triceratops Brewing Company
- Shoebox Spirits
- Salish Sea Organic Liqueurs
- O-Town Brewing
- Hoh River Brewery
- City of Tumwater
- Thurston Economic Development Council
- Thurston County Chamber
- Port of Olympia
- Port of Seattle
- Cider Institute of North America
- American Craft Spirits Assocation
- Northwest Cider Association
- Washington Distillers Guild
- School of Food Science at Washington State University and University of Idaho