A new program is brewing
Phenomenal growth in the craft beer, cider, and spirits industries has led to a lot of local buzz. Washington State, a national and global leader in these areas, provides an ideal location to further grow these industries. And just like any industry boom, education is needed to support the new workforce and funnel new jobs into the local economy.
That’s why SPSCC is excited to bring a new program with three areas of focus to our South Sound community: Craft Brewing and Distilling.
What SPSCC is doing
Building world-class educational programs
SPSCC has worked with the community and a board of industry advisors to build a degree program for Craft Brewing and Distilling. The program is set to launch in Fall 2018. Request Info >>
Developing state-of-the-art craft beverage facilities
Every new program needs the space to learn and complete labs in. SPSCC plans to partner with and lease space from Craft District, LLC, as part of a new 10,000 square foot space in Tumwater. The space will include classrooms, labs, small scale production space, offices, a conference room, and more.
Offering non-credit classes to the community
In addition to program-building, the college has been building relationships with local craft beverage makers and gauging community interest by offering non-credit classes in brewing and distilling classes for the past several years.
Classes at SPSCC
- Brewing Science For The Home Brewer - IPA
- Holiday Cocktail Party
- Whiskey Appreciation Certificate
- Whiskey Server Certificate
- Whiskey Weekend
- Cider and Perry - A Foundation
- Cascadia Grains Conference - January 19 & 20, 2018
- Thurston Talk local events list
- Olympia Brew Fest - August 2018
- Tumwater Artesian Brewfest - August 2018
Want to stay connected to what's happening?
Visit the Craft Brewing and Distilling Center website.
Learn about the Historic Brewing Tower and its future.
SPSCC is part of an Innovation Partnership Zone, led by the Thurston Economic Development Council, for Craft Brewing and Distilling, focused on creating opportunities for expansion and growth in this industry.
- Fish Brewing Company
- Hoh River Brewery
- Matchless Brewing
- O-Town Brewing
- Parsons Family Farm
- Salish Sea Organic Liqueurs
- Sandstone Distillery
- Shoebox Spirits
- Three Magnets Brewing
- Top Rung Brewing Company
- Triceratops Brewing Company
- Whitewood Cider
- City of Tumwater
- Thurston Economic Development Council
- Thurston County Chamber
- Port of Olympia
- Port of Seattle
- Cider Institute of North America
- American Craft Spirits Assocation
- Northwest Cider Association
- Washington Distillers Guild
- School of Food Science at Washington State University and University of Idaho