What does success look like for you?
Whether you measure success as completing degree requirements, graduating on time, or transferring to the four-year school you have in mind, the IGNITE program helps you get there.
Through IGNITE, you’ll get personalized advising, coaching, and a team of advocates cheering you on and helping you reach your goals. The program is designed specifically to help first generation, low income, students of color, and students with disabilities to succeed.
Offered through the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Center (DEIC), the IGNITE program supports SPSCC's mission to advance equity and embrace diversity as well as support historically underrepresented students.
- Quarterly orientation programs
- Early registration to classes
- Intentional academic advising
- Career explorations
- Academic support for challenging classes (tutoring, study groups)
- Financial advising (financial aid, scholarships, grants resources)
- Life skills (goal setting, note taking, study skills)
- Identity development (empowerment workshops)
- Textbook loan program
- Financial assistance (scholarships, emergency grants)
While you will have unique goals for yourself, our goal for you is to:
- Complete your selected degree or certificate program; and
- Raise your GPA if below 3.0.
To be accepted to the program, you should be enrolled at SPSCC (part time or full time) and be seeking a two-year degree or certificate. Additionally, at least one of the following should be true:
- Neither of your parents earned a 4-year degree or higher; or
- You have a disability documented with the Access Services office; or
- You are eligible for a Pell Grant; or
- You are a student of color.
How to Apply
Now accepting Winter 2019 applications.
Steps to Apply
Complete and submit the application requirements to the DEIC, including:
- IGNITE Application Packet
- 300-600 word personal statement describing how you would benefit from IGNITE
- Agree to the Rights & Responsibilities and Program Expectations
Application Dates & Deadlines
|Academic Year 2018-19|
|Fall 2018||Winter 2019||Spring 2019|
|Application Opens||-||Jul 7, 2018||Nov 5, 2018|
|Application Closes||-||Oct 5, 2018||Jan 11, 2019|
|Selected IGNITE will be notified by||-||Oct 19, 2018||Jan 25, 2019|
|IGNITE Orientation Kick-Off Day||Sep 10, 2018||Dec 17, 2018
and Jan 4, 2019
|Mar 25, 2019|
|First Day of Instruction||Sep 17, 2018||Jan 2, 2019||Apr 1, 2019|
For more information: