What is IGNITE?
Ignite means to start a flame or to cause something to catch fire. That is what this program is meant to do.
IGNITE helps students who are low income, students of color, students with a disability, and students whose parents did not go to college, by offering a community and support services to get through college and graduate.
When you join IGNITE, you get an academic advisor, a peer mentor, and an entire community committed to helping you succeed.
What do you get?
- Educational Planner
- Peer Mentor
- Laptop (if you need one)
- Early registration to classes
- Life and academic skills (how to advocate for yourself, how to study…)
- Identity development (how to believe in your abilities)
- Access to the Student of Color Conference
What do you need to do in IGNITE?
- If students want a peer mentor: Complete biweekly mentee/mentor check-in assignments on Canvas and communicate with your mentor at least once every month by phone, email, text, or in person.
- If student opts out of peer mentor program, then they have to attend 1 hour weekly check-ins every Friday.
- Attend weekly IGNITE student forums and workshops.
- Meet with your Educational Planner each quarter preferably before early registration.
- Complete a Financial Aid application every year.
If you don’t complete these expectations:
- The first time you will not be eligible to get textbooks the following quarter.
- A second time you will be dismissed from the program for one quarter.
- A third time you will be dismissed permanently from the program.
Are you Eligible?
To join the program, you should be enrolled at SPSCC (part time or full time) and planning to earn a two-year degree or certificate. Additionally, at least one of the following should be true:
- Neither of your parents earned a 4-year degree or higher; or
- You have a disability documented with the Access Services office; or
- You are eligible for a Pell Grant; or
- You are a student of color.
How do you apply for IGNITE?
- If you are a new student, apply to SPSCC and apply for Financial Aid.
- If you are a current student, fill out the IGNITE application
Application Dates & Deadlines
We are still accepting applications for the academic year 2020-2021. Please click here to apply.