What is IGNITE?
Ignite means to start a flame or to cause something to catch fire. That is what this program is meant to do.
IGNITE helps students who are low income, students of color, students with a disability, and students whose parents did not go to college, by offering a community and support services to get through college and graduate.
When you join IGNITE, you get an academic advisor, a peer mentor, and an entire community committed to helping you succeed.
Are you Eligible?
- To join the program, you must be a current or newly admitted student seeking a two-year degree or certificate.
- You must identify with one of the following below:
- Neither of your parents earned a Bachelor’s (four-year) degree
- You filed your FAFSA/ WASFA and are eligible for a PellGrant
- You have a documented disability on filewith SPSCC Access Services
- You identify as a student of color
*Running Start and International students are not eligible for the Ignite Program.
How do you apply for IGNITE?
- If you are a new student, apply to SPSCC and apply for Financial Aid.
- If you are a current student, fill out the IGNITE application.
- If you are a returning student to the program, please fill out the application form, and select Returning Student.
*This applies to students that have not been enrolled at SPSCC for two or more quarters.
How to Stay Eligible in IGNITE?
- You must attend 2 quarterly community forums.
- You must be enrolled in the peer mentor program.
In this program, you will communicate with your peer mentor at least once every month by phone, email, text, or in-person.
- Meet with your Educational & Career Planner once a quarter.
- Complete a Financial Aid application every year.
What do you get?
- Educational Planner
- Peer Mentor
- Laptop (if you need one)
- Early registration to classes
- Access to the Student of Color Conference
- Life and academic skills (how to advocate for yourself, how to study…)
- Identity development (how to believe in your abilities)
We accept applications on an ongoing basis. However, it is your responsibility to finish the application within the quarter it was started.