Mental Health Counseling

Counseling Services provides mental health counseling to support your mental health, emotional well-being, and resiliency. Our licensed providers offer confidential services that are free of charge to current SPSCC students.

A counselor listening to and sitting across from a student

Counseling Services

Counseling Services offers scheduled appointments, walk-in sessions, crisis intervention services, and workshops. We are unable to provide counseling services to SPSCC students who live outside of Washington State due to telehealth restrictions and licensing requirements.

Need help registering or selecting classes? Visit the Advising, Career & Transfer Center.


Counseling Services is open from Monday to Friday in person from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. during Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarter. Check the Hours & Contact page for Summer Quarter hours.

We follow the academic calendar and are not available during quarter breaks. Check out the Academic Calendar for more information.

Schedule an Appointment

Walk in during the hours above or schedule an appointment by calling 360-596-5306.

Crisis Services

If you need immediate crisis support or are feeling unsafe, and it is outside our service hours, please contact one of the following resources that are available 24 hours a day:

Meet Our Counselors

Ross Artwohl


Ross's therapy is tailored to unique needs and preferences, a "custom" therapy rather than a one-size-fits-all approach.


Sally Sharbaugh

M.C., L.M.H.C.

Sally works with students on a wide range of issues and incorporates the power of mindfulness, helping students discover their own emotional and cognitive resiliency.


Heather Kranz


Heather focuses on helping students identify and overcome a variety of roadblocks to help them accomplish their professional and personal goals.


Active Minds

Counseling Services advises Active Minds, the SPSCC chapter of this national, student-led, mental health advocacy group. Get involved in making some noise and changing the conversation about mental health on campus.

Learn More
Percy the Kraken standing outside of Building 22 with their arms raised in a cheer

Personal Counseling

Personal Counseling gives students the opportunity to meet with a licensed professional mental health counselor to discuss issues and concerns that may be interfering with their ability to achieve educational and personal goals. Personal Counseling is available by appointment, walk-in, or on an emergency basis.

Study Skills Coaching

Study skills coaching assists students in learning how to improve study skills such as reducing test anxiety, managing time more effectively, establishing and reaching realistic goals, and adjusting to college life. Study skills coaching and instruction are available through classes, workshops, and individual appointments.

Crisis Intervention

Counselors are available to help with a variety of emotional crises or emergencies. When a counselor cannot be reached, call the Thurston County Crisis Clinic at (360) 586-2800 for personal assistance; and call 911 for medical assistance.

Classroom Instruction

As faculty with expertise in clinical psychology we offer engaging presentations on a variety of topics such as managing stress, depression, anxiety, flourishing and mindfulness strategies for emotional regulation and attentional skills. We are available to come to your classroom as guest instructors whether your class is on campus, hybrid or fully on-line. Have something in mind? Email us at

We also welcome requests to talk with your students about counseling services and the benefits of mental health counseling.


Confounded by a student’s behaviors? Trying to resolve a tricky classroom dynamics? We can help you with consultation either individually or in a group setting. When you are feeling stuck or frustrated we can help you identify options, problem-solve, and consider new possibilities.

What is Counseling at SPSCC?

Counselors with Counseling Services at SPSCC are professionals who hold a Master’s degree in Psychology, Counseling, or Education. They are trained to help people with personal and emotional issues as well as study skill support. A lot of times, the counselors at SPSCC help students by listening and problem-solving with the student.

How do I know if I need counseling?

There is no easy answer to knowing when one person’s struggles are such that counseling is needed. We recommend that you come in during our walk-in counseling times to talk about this question with a counselor. Talking with a counselor is confidential and completely voluntary.

Do I have to pay for Counseling at SPSCC?

No, you do not have to pay for counseling at SPSCC. This service is covered by your tuition and fees and is limited to current students.

What is the difference between the Advising Center and Counseling Services?

The Advising Center helps students plan their academic goals, including what classes to take, when to take those classes, or how to transfer to a 4-year college. Counseling Services is a place where a student can find help with personal or emotional struggles, concerns, or goals. Often academic goals and personal goals can be intertwined, and counselors will sometimes provide academic guidance in these situations. Most of the time, academic advisors have not received training to address personal or emotional issues and may refer a student with this type of difficulty to Counseling Services. Visit the Advising, Career & Transfer Center for more information.

How do I meet with a counselor or make an appointment?

For a first meeting with a counselor you have two options: Call 360-596-5306 to talk to a counselor directly and schedule an appointment. This generally includes a 30 or 60-minute appointment one-on-one with a counselor. Or, come in during the walk-in counseling times and meet with a counselor—this meeting generally lasts up to 20 minutes. At the end of this meeting, you and the counselor will decide together if you would like a regular appointment and schedule accordingly. For ongoing meetings with a counselor, this will be determined through a discussion between you and the counselor you meet with.

How do I cancel an appointment?

Cancel an appointment by calling 360-596-5306, or by contacting the counselor you are scheduled with directly. You can find each counselor’s contact information in the counselors listed below.

What do I do if I have to talk to someone right now?

You may come in for a walk-in meeting with a counselor if it is during walk-in times. See the Counseling Services contact information and office hours for the current walk-in times. If it is outside of these hours but still within the counseling hours, you can call or stop by the counseling office to see if a counselor is available. If it is after counseling office hours and you feel that you MUST talk to someone right now, then call the Thurston County Crisis line at 360-586-2800.

Will my counselor talk to my instructor, parents, or anyone else?

No. The Counselors in Counseling Services abide by a strict code of ethics that forbids them from talking to anyone about any person that they are helping. Occasionally they may consult each other about how they might better help students in certain situations; however, these discussions are kept in confidence as well. There are a couple of limitations to confidentiality. If someone discloses to us that 1) a child or dependent adult is experiencing abuse or neglect or 2) a person is intending to hurt themselves or someone else. In these situations, we need to break confidentiality because we are concerned that the student we are working with, or someone else, is at risk of harm. We encourage you to discuss any concerns you may have about confidentiality with a counselor—you can disclose as much or as little about your situation as you feel comfortable sharing. Confidence is only broken if it is absolutely necessary.

In some situations, students find that they want their counselor to share information. If you find that you would like your counselor to share information with someone else (a medical provider, instructor, parent, etc.), then we will have the student sign a Release of Information form authorizing what information to release, when to release it, and who it will be released to. We encourage you to discuss any questions or concerns you have about this process with your counselor.

Sexual Violence can occur in many forms including sexual harassment, stalking, dating violence, domestic violence, or sexual assault. If you are experiencing, of if you are wondering if you are experiencing, any kind of sexual violence, Counseling Services is a resource for you.

We are professionally trained counselors who will work with you at any step of the way in your process toward healing. Whether that is immediate crisis support, connection to additional resources, a place to process decisions around taking legal action, or at any point in the recovery process, we are here to assist you. Please reach out to us so that we can offer you the support you deserve.

Campus Security is also available to assist at any time on any day. You can reach campus security by calling 360-596-5299. Local police are also available by dialing 911.

Visit Safety & Security for more information.

Washington State Department of Veteran Affairs (not the VA): Washington State Department of Veteran Affairs is separate from the federal VA. They work with veterans on many issues. Their records do not connect to any service record.

Thurston County Veterans Assistance Fund: The Thurston County Veterans’ Assistance Fund helps eligible veterans or family members with rent, mortgage, power, water, garbage, food, bus passes, and burial.

Veteran-Based Organizations Supporting Other Veterans:

Veterans Homelessness Prevention Program: The Veterans Homelessness Prevention Program offers supportive services and temporary rental assistance and/or rapid re-housing for veterans. Please call them for more information at 1-855-468-8387.

Veteran Sub-Groups:

Mental Health & Relationships:

Drug & Alcohol Information:

Sexual Health Information:


Counselor & Therapist Referral:

Note: These links will take you to information on counselors, psychologists and therapists in the community, including what forms of payment they accept and how to contact their offices. SPSCC does not endorse any one counselor or group of counselors. These links are intended to be used only for gathering more information.