Select and apply for your preferred housing option as soon as possible and before you arrive on campus. See Housing information for options while attending SPSCC and remember to submit a housing application once you have a Visa.
Attend a Pre-Departure Orientation in Your Country
EducationUSA Advising Centers in your country may offer a free pre-departure orientation session for students attending colleges and universities in the United States. Visit the EducationUSA website to find a center in your area and learn more.
Planning for Orientation and Class Registration
Check your email regularly for updates on orientation and arrival information. When you receive your student visa, make flight arrangements no later than the reported date on your I-20. Submit a new student arrival form once you confirm your travel plans. New students are required to attend an orientation to prepare for their first quarter at SPSCC.
Due to high health care costs in the US, we require that all international students carry health insurance continuously while studying at SPSCC, including during breaks and holidays. All international students are required to carry the college-approved health insurance plan provided by Firebird International Insurance Group. The charge will be applied to your student account each quarter. Insurance must be pre-paid the quarter prior to taking an approved quarter vacation.
Who is SPSCC’s approved insurance provider?
Firebird International Insurance Group provides a health insurance policy for purchase for our international students.
- Student: $495 per quarter/$1980 per year.
- Spouse of student: Health insurance can be purchased separately upon arrival.
- Children of student (under 18): Health insurance can be purchased separately upon arrival.
Visit the Firebird website for more information or call them at 1-800-899-4233.
Getting to Campus
Before you leave your country, please read the U.S. government’s information about the procedures for entering the United States. When you arrive in the United States, you will need to present your I-20 to the immigration officer. Our office offers free shuttle service to Olympia for all new international students. Submit a new student arrival form once your visa and flight information is confirmed. We are excited for your arrival at SPSCC.
Olympia is located about 45 minutes from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (airport code SEA).
- Shuttle Service: Capital Aeroporter offers shuttle service for about $42.00. Arrange for service before you arrive by visiting the Capital Aeroporter website.
- Bus Route: IntercityTransit provides a connected bus route from the airport to Olympia, although travel time is over two hours and involves multiples stops and bus transfers.
- Car Route: Get driving directions to SPSCC from the airport on Google Maps.