Workforce programs, like BFET and WorkFirst, provide financial support to help connect students with a path into a high-demand, high-wage career.

Workforce programs can help support:

  • Students planning to transfer to a university in an approved program or pathway
  • Professional Technical certificates and degrees
  • Job skills training—specific skills needed to gain employment
  • Pre-college skills (diploma, GED®, basic skills, or ESL) to prepare for career training

Each program has different criteria and requirements, but SPSCC has tools and experts to help each student find funding that will put them solidly on the path to completion and employment.

SPSCC is an equal opportunity provider, please visit the USDA site for complete information or to file a complaint.

Workforce Programs

BFET can help you pay for tuition, fees, books, and more, for the majority of our SPSCC programs or Pathways. Contact our BFET Office at to determine what programs are eligible for BFET funding.

To be eligible, you should be living in Washington State and receiving food benefits through DSHS, but not receiving TANF (Temporary Assistant to Needy Families). If you haven’t already, you should also complete the FAFSA within the first quarter of taking classes.

WorkFirst is a program to assist parents who are receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) to gain the skills needed to become employed or to advance in employment through wage and skill progression. Students who qualify may be eligible to receive funding for up to one quarter to cover tuition and fees, books, transportation, childcare, or tools.

WorkFirst Work Study is also available to students who are receiving TANF to provide employment opportunities while attending school.


  • Currently receiving TANF.
  • Must be referred by your DSHS case manager for specific eligible programs.

Worker Retraining is a state-funded program to help recently unemployed or military-discharged students retrain in a new field to re-enter the workforce. You may qualify if you:

  • are receiving unemployment
  • have exhausted unemployment within the past 48 months
  • have separated from the military within the past 48 months
  • received a lay-off notice
  • lost a main source of income due to spousal divorce, separation, death, or disability
  • are out of work due to a natural disaster

Students who qualify may be eligible to receive funding for up to one quarter to cover tuition and fees, books, transportation, childcare, or tools.


  • Live in WA state
  • Enrolled in an ABE/GED/ESL program, vocational or professional technical non-transfer degree, or certificate program
  • And have one of the following circumstances: currently receiving unemployment benefits, eligible to receive unemployment benefits, and/or exhausted unemployment benefits within the past 48 months

Required Documents

  • Current unemployment check stub, or
  • Documentation from the Employment Security Department that you have exhausted unemployment benefits within the past 24 months, or
  • Warning notice from your employer, or
  • Legal documentation proving eligibility as a Displaced Homemaker

The Opportunity Grant program helps low-income students complete up to one year of college and a certificate in a high-wage, high-demand career.


Services Provided

  • Funding for tuition and fees up to 45 credits (one year, full-time).
  • Funding for required books and supplies up to $1,000.
  • You may also receive tutoring, career advising, and college success classes.

Apply for the Opportunity Grant

Find Out If You Qualify

Take the Start Next Quarter survey to see what Workforce programs you may be eligible to enroll in. It's short, free, and anonymous.

Take the Eligibility Survey