What is a Milestone Level?
A milestone level shows that a student has English and/or Math placement or completed the prerequisites for a course. It does not allow you to skip over prerequisites. (A prerequisite is a course that needs to be completed before taking another course.)
Do you need a Milestone Level?
If you have English and/or Math completion through means other than taking classes at SPSCC, you will need Milestones for your placement. Milestone placement is issued for:
- Completion of English and/or Math coursework at other colleges or universities
- Eligible scores earned on Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and Cambridge exams
- ACCUPLACER scores from another college
- GED® exam scores
- Accepted English or Math course completion or scores on high school documents
You can submit unofficial copies of any of the documents above for Milestone Placement. See the Placement Options page to review all options including Guided Self Placement and how to Transfer official credit to SPSCC. Please be aware it can take up to five business days to process placement requests.
Submit your current schedule if your course is in progress at another school
If you are currently taking a prerequisite at another college or are enrolled in a high school math course during the second semester and trying to register for summer or fall quarter at SPSCC, please fill out the Placement Request Form. Your milestone level will be issued as “in progress” and you will receive specific instructions on how to register for your class(es).
Course Permissions for Prerequisites
If the course you are trying to add during active registration is giving you an error saying you have not met the prerequisite this could be for several reasons:
- You are currently enrolled in the prerequisite class at SPSCC, but the prerequisite checking is not working on the course
- You are enrolled in the prerequisite course or completed the prerequisite course at another college or university and it needs to be reviewed for a milestone
- You may need your instructor's permission*
You can submit a Course Permission Request form during active registration periods and submit your documentation for review. Please be aware it can take up to five business days to process course permission requests.
*Note about instructor permission
If the course you are trying to add has Instructor Permission listed in the online schedule, you must email the instructor in order to enroll. If you submit the Course Permissions Request form we will direct you to reach out to the instructor.