Running Start Enrollment Verification Form

Get Form

Quarterly Running Start Tasks

After your first quarter at SPSCC, registration will look different. Each quarter, you will be assigned a day and time to register for the next quarter.

Keep in mind that the college registers earlier than the high school; pay attention to important reminders and dates about registration.

During the Current Quarter

Week 2: Make an appointment with your high school counselor to review your graduation requirements and start filling out next quarter’s Running Start Enrollment Verification Form.

Week 3: Review the class schedule and participate in Pathways Day to begin planning your future transfer and career plans.

Week 4: Use Compass to make an appointment with your Educational & Career Planner at SPSCC to review Degree Planner and your high school graduation requirements.

Week 5: Log into ctcLink to see your registration day and time. Note that this is NOT an appointment with your Educational & Career Planner. This is when the online system will allow you to start registration.

Week 6: If you have any last-minute questions before registration, take advantage of extended Advising, Career & Transfer Center walk-in services.

Week 7: Registration begins for next quarter! Log into ctcLink to complete your registration process. Make an appointment to have your high school counselor sign your Running Start Enrollment Verification Form and turn it in to Start Here or the One Stop (Olympia or Lacey Campus) or email it to

Academic Advising

All SPSCC students are assigned a primary Educational & Career Planner and Running Start students will work with the Educational & Career Planner matched with the school district listed below. Students are also assigned a faculty mentor based on their degree program, if applicable, in addition to Running Start Educational & Career Planners. New students must first complete all the Steps to Enroll before they can meet with their Educational & Career Planner.

Educational & Career Planners are available for walk-in questions during posted hours or for 30-minute, long-term planning appointments which are scheduled via your Compass account. Non-time-sensitive questions and electronic form submissions can be sent to

Lu Swenson


Olympia School District

Contact Lu

Tracy Moore


North Thurston School District

Contact Tracy

Neha Guarente


Tumwater School District

Contact Neha

Anandi Stork


Yelm and Rainier School Districts

Contact Anandi

Sarah Clarke


Online students and all other school districts

Contact Sarah

Additional Information

Running Start students are considered regular college students and are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Parents/caregivers will not have access to your grades, class schedules, etc.

Students may give parents/caregivers permission to view this information by submitting the Release of Records Form in person with a photo ID to Enrollment Services (Building 22 at the Olympia Campus or Building 1 at the Lacey Campus) or emailing the form with a copy of their photo ID to

Why don't my parents have access to my records even though I'm under 18?

You're choosing to participate in the Running Start program and therefore, choosing to be a college student. FERPA laws apply to your educational records just like any other college student. We encourage Running Start students to fill out the Release of Records, but it's not required. You may also pull or modify the release at any time during your enrollment at SPSCC by working with Enrollment Services.

If I fill out the Release of Records, can my parents see my class attendance?

Higher education doesn't have the required attendance laws that the K-12 system does. This means we're not tracking our student’s attendance in class or even their grades until final grades are posted at the end of the quarter. It's the student’s responsibility to show up to class and do the work. If they don’t, the result will be a failing grade. Even with a Release of Records on file, we don't have access to your attendance or grades during the quarter. We encourage families to communicate with each other about how classes are going if there are attendance or grade concerns.

If I don't fill out the Release of Records, can my parents see my grades?

The Release of Records only protects access to your student record at the college. When you sign the Running Start Verification Form each quarter, you're giving SPSCC permission to share information including grades, billing, registration, and attendance information directly with the high school. Once this information is released to the high school, your parents have full access to it in accordance with the laws that govern the release of information to parents in the K-12 system. 

It's the student's responsibility to make sure that classes they're taking at SPSCC will count toward high school graduation requirements and stay within the funding limits (unless the student chooses to over-enroll and pay the tuition costs). You must work closely with your high school Counselor and assigned Running Start Educational & Career Planner to help navigate both high school and college requirements.

Why do grades matter so much?

Maintaining a strong grade point average (GPA) as a college student is very important! All SPSCC students are required to maintain a minimum 2.0 quarterly GPA to stay enrolled at the college. Grades for your SPSCC classes also go on your permanent SPSCC Official Transcript which you will be required to submit to any transfer college or university and potential employers. Your grades also go back to the high school exactly as they are at the college and will be added to your cumulative high school GPA.

I feel like I'm not doing well in my classes. What should I do?

Reach out to your Educational & Career Planner for help! SPSCC has a lot of academic and personal support resources that are FREE to you as a student. If you aren’t sure what kind of help you need, start with your ECP and they can help guide you to the appropriate resource. Getting help is not a sign that you aren’t “smart” or not ready to be a college student. Successful students tend to be the ones who do use the resources at the college to help support them.

What if I want to earn my college degree and my diploma at the same time?

One of the benefits of Running Start is the potential to earn your degree by the time you finish high school. This takes a lot of careful planning to make sure you're also taking care of all your high school graduation requirements. You should meet with your Educational & Career Planner every quarter to review your Degree Planner. This will help keep you on track and make sure you don’t miss any important classes toward your degree at SPSCC.

Running Start students have imposed funding limits that restrict the total number of credits they can take through the program. The funding limits table is available on the Running Start Enrollment Verification form (RSEVF). Each quarter as you register for classes you will be charged full tuition. You must submit a new RSEVF by the tuition due date to reduce the tuition.

I turned in my verification form, why do I still owe fees?

The Running Start program only covers funding for tuition within the funding limits table. It doesn't cover the cost of the course, program, and student fees. Running Start students are responsible for paying the fees on their courses each quarter unless they qualify for and are approved for the Fee Waiver program. Fees are due by the tuition due date each quarter.

I turned in my verification form, why do I still owe tuition?

Running Start does not cover the tuition cost of:

  • Pre-College designated courses (courses numbered under 100 & Clippers Math)
  • Credits enrolled above the funding limits table
  • Courses not approved for 5th-year senior graduation requirements

The cost of tuition in any of these situations is the responsibility of the student. If you have questions about your charges, please contact Enrollment Services at or 360-596-5241.

What happens if I don't pay my fees?

If you don't pay your fees by the tuition due date, you'll be dropped from your classes for non-payment. It's important to check your SPSCC student email at least once a week so you don't miss important messages and reminders.

Running Start students can take Summer Quarter classes, but they will have to pay the full tuition costs. For information about tuition costs, please see the Tuition Table.

Grades from Summer Quarter are not automatically sent to the high school like the rest of the school year. If you have taken a class during Summer Quarter that you want to be sent back to your high school, you'll need to fill out the Running Start Summer Grades Request Form. Requests will be processed within 1 week of grades being posted. You may not see the classes show up on your high school transcript until after the new academic year since high schools are closed over the summer.

A current or former Running Start student may be eligible to continue past their natural 12th-grade year as a 5th-year senior if the following conditions apply:

  • You participated in Running Start at some point during your natural junior or senior year
  • You are credit deficient as evaluated by the high school
  • You can only enroll in courses necessary for high school completion
  • You will not turn 21 prior to or during the quarter they are enrolled

5th-year seniors have a registration block on their account and must register in person with their signed RSEVF showing which courses are still needed for high school completion. If a 5th-year senior chooses to enroll in courses not listed on the RSEVF, they will owe full tuition and fees on those selections. If you qualify for 5th-year senior status, contact Outreach for more information: or 360-596-5440.