Veterans: Scholarships, Grants and Funding Sources

South Puget Sound Community College is a nationally recognized Military Friendly School. Please review the options below to learn more about available tuition assistance, financial aid and educational options.

Military Tuition Assistance

Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services.

  1. Connect with your local education center to learn about Tuition Assistance (TA), set up your ArmyIgnitEd account, and build your Education Path. For the education center at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, please call 253-967-7174.
  2. Follow the Enrollment Steps (Link to updated steps) to enroll in classes at South Puget Sound Community College (SPSCC). Your Army education counselor will approve your Education Path.
  3. Once your educational program plan has been approved, you are ready to complete enrollment at SPSCC. If you need assistance selecting classes or scheduling, please contact you assigned Educational Planner using Compass. Once you enroll in your classes, you will need to notify Student Financial Services to ensure a hold is placed on your account until your tuition assistance is received.
  4. Go back into your ArmyIgnitEd account to approve TA for your classes.

Each Service has their own process and website/portal, but using TA generally starts with contacting your service’s education center. We support students from all Services and will gladly assist you at the Veterans Services Office.

My Career and Advancement Account (MyCAA)

Active Military and dependents will need to work with a MyCAA representative at their nearest education center to:

  1. Set up MyCAA account
  2. Select your home school
  3. Please visit with a SPSCC Educational Planner to set-up an education and training plan
  4. Submit degree plan to MyCAA representative for approval 
  5. Request voucher from MyCAA for approved courses

All other services should work with an educational counselor at your nearest educational center for initial funding setup and TA approval.


The SPSCC Foundation offers a number of scholarship and grant opportunities for all currently enrolled students. Scholarships and grants are money that does not need to be paid back. Scholarships are typically offered based on financial need, academic or community achievements, or other criteria established by the organization awarding the scholarship (often called the “grantor”). 
Follow this link to view all available scholarship and grant opportunities,

Scholarships From Other Organizations

The community scholarships below are not affiliated with SPSCC and are posted here as a resource for students seeking additional funding. If you have any questions about these scholarships, please follow the links to visit the corresponding websites.

GI Bill

Service members may choose to activate their GI Bill® while still on active duty.   
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

Active Duty Service Members who qualify for and receive GI Bill benefits will have:

  • Tuition and fees paid directly to SPSCC   
    Note: Dependent upon length of time in service and specific GI Bill program
  • Book and supply stipend not to exceed $1,000 per academic year, paid per credit up to 24 credits during the year (1 August – 31 July)

The level of eligibility for Veterans Benefits is based on timeframe and length of service. There are different Veterans Education Benefit programs available to active duty service members. For more information, eligibility requirements and benefits, visit the Veterans Administration (VA) website.

If you want to activate your GI Bill benefits, follow the Enrollment Steps for Veteran Students

Pay Online or Make a Payment Plan

Pay online or use Nelnet to make a Payment Plan using ctcLink. Login with ctcLink ID and password required. For Nelnet payment plan information and enrollment dates, visit MyCollegePaymentPlan.

  • Login to ctcLink.
  • Select "Student Homepage".
  • Select the "Financial Account" tile.
  • Select "Make Payment" and choose the amount and method of payment.
  • To set up a Payment Plan, select "Nelnet Payment Plan" under Payment Plans.