Apply to Running Start

EXTENDED to APRIL 9: Admissions for Spring Quarter

It's the perfect time to become a Running Start student!

Take SPSCC classes and earn college credit while your high school is closed. Apply by April 9. Classes start April 13.

Note: Due to COVID-19, be prepared to access class materials online even if the class is listed as a face-to-face class. If you are looking to enroll for Fall Quarter 2020, please see our normal Steps to Enroll for Running Start below. 

Complete these steps by April 9 to successfully enroll:

1. Apply online to SPSCC to get your Student ID number. Your application will be processed in 1-2 business days. An email will be sent to the email address on your application with your student ID number.

2. Once you receive your acceptance email from SPSCC, set up your SPSCC student email account to receive communication from SPSCC and to register for your classes.

3. Qualify for Running Start by submitting: SAT/ACT scores, AP/IB English/Literature scores, SBA scores to to qualify for English 101. Unofficial score reports from Skyward are accepted! For score requirements, please see the Running Start Placement Guide.

4. Determine your high school graduation requirements. Email your high school counselor if you are able to communicate with them.  No access? Email a copy of your current second semester schedule and we will assist in trying to place you into equivalent courses at the college.

5. Register for classes by completing New Student Advising & Registration online.

6. Attend an online Information Session to learn more about the Running Start program and to prepare to be a college student.

7. Submit your RS Verification Form and pay fees or apply for a fee waiver. Most high school counselors are available via email while schools are closed. Please work with your counselor to complete a verification form via email. No access? Email and we will reach out to your high school.

Running Start verification forms will be accepted as students or the college are able to connect with the high school counselors.  Payment of fees are due within 1 business day of your verification form being processed.

Steps to Enroll for Running Start

For Fall Quarter 2020 and beyond.

Step 1

Attend an on-campus Information Session.

See upcoming information session dates below. Before your first day of class at SPSCC, you need to attend an on-campus information session. (Recommended as first step, but does not have to be done before the rest of the steps below.)

Step 2

Apply to SPSCC.

Apply Online to get your Student ID (SID) number. You will receive an email with your SID number after your application is processed, within 3-5 business days.

Step 3

Set up email & portal.

Outlook iconSet up your SPSCC email account, the email we use to communicate with you and your login to the college network.
Need help? Call 360-596-5544.

Step 4

Qualify for Running Start.

 To be eligible for Running Start, you must place into, or have completed, English 101. Note for Fall 2020 Start: Soon, you will be able to take an online test if you do not have other high school documentation to submit for placement. Please see the Assessment Center page for online testing info as it becomes available. See the Running Start Placement Guide for more information.

Step 5

Determine high school graduation requirements.

Meet with your high school counselor or school district representative to discuss specific graduation requirements. They will help you decide how many classes to complete at the high school and how many credits to complete at SPSCC. Check out available classes in the Class Schedule. There is a 15-credit limit to the number of courses you can be enrolled in between high school and SPSCC with full tuition coverage. If you want to take more than 15 credits, you will pay full tuition for the additional credits. See the Running Start Enrollment Verification Form for the funding table and use it to meet with your high school counselor.

Step 6

Get registered.

As a new SPSCC student, you also need to attend New Student Advising & Registration (NSAR)—a required group advising orientation—to register for classes in-person. Bring a photo ID, a list of high school graduation requirements, and your completed Running Start Enrollment Verification Form.

Without the form, you will have to register as a full tuition-paying student. Tuition and fees are not due at the NSAR unless the tuition due date has passed. Any tuition payment made after the tuition due date will be refunded 100% if you turn in your Running Start Enrollment Verification Form by the fifth day of the quarter. Turn in the form to the One Stop or Advising Center in Building 22 or email it to

Step 7

Submit RS Verification Form & pay fees or apply for waiver.

Each quarter, you must submit the Running Start Enrollment Verification Form (RSEVF) in order to get your tuition waived. Your High School counselor or district rep and your parent or guardian will need to sign the RSEVF before you turn it into SPSCC. Fees and the costs of books and supplies are not covered through the Running Start program.  Fees are due by the tuition due date each quarter. Students with a qualifying financial need may submit for the Fee Waiver & Book Loan program.

Tuition for credits within the funding limits will be paid for you through the Running Start program.  If you take classes under the 100 level or over the credit distribution maximums, you must pay tuition for those credits. If at any time during the quarter you change your credit distributions you may owe additional tuition to the college.

2019 Running Start Enrollment Verification Form (RSEVF)

Private or home school & degree completion

Private school, home school, and degree completion students:
If you are NOT seeking a public high school diploma then you are allowed to enroll in a maximum 15 credits each quarter with tuition paid for through the Running Start program. If at any time you decide to seek a public high school diploma, you will be restricted to the funding limits based on high school enrollment. If you enroll in more than 15 credits, you will pay full tuition on the additional credits. You must turn in a signed Running Start Verification Form each quarter for funding purposes.

  • Home School and Private School students: In order to have your college tuition paid through Running Start funds, you first need to enroll in your local public high school. Since districts can have different enrollment processes, it’s best to inquire at the district office about how to enroll for the purpose of accessing Running Start.

    Once enrolled, you can complete the process for taking college classes through the Running Start program. Also, while your private school staff can advise you about which college courses meet graduation requirements, the public school counselor or other designated staff must sign off on your Running Start Enrollment Verification Form each term.
  • Degree completion students: You will still get your Running Start Enrollment Verification Form signed quarterly by your public high school counselor. Degree completion means focusing on the college degree requirements; the college will issue both the associate degree and high school diploma upon approval of graduation application. You should set up an appointment every quarter prior to registration to meet with an Educational Planner at the college to track your degree progress.

Important Dates

Starting Quarter: Spring 2020 Fall 2020 Winter 2021
Recommended to Apply By: Jan 2020 Apr 2020 Oct 2020
Class Schedule Online: Jan 2020 Apr 2020 Oct 2020
Take Placement Test: Jan-Feb 2020

Mar-Apr 2020

*Due to Covid-19 testing
availability will be limited.
Please email
for more information.*

Oct-Nov 2020
Registration Opens: Mar 2, 2020 May 26, 2020 TBD
RS Verification Form Due:

Please submit as able
due to high school closures

Sep 1, 2020 Dec 15, 2020
Fees Due By:

Mar 24, 2020 *Date moved
due to COVID-19*

Sep 1, 2020 Dec 15, 2020
Classes Start: Apr 13, 2020 *Date moved
due to COVID-19*


Sep 21, 2020 Jan 4, 2021

Running Start Information Sessions


If you have any questions, please email your assigned Educational Planner listed at the end of the presentation.

Due to social distancing requirements enacted by the Governor and SPSCC's commitment to staff and public safety, the Running Start information sessions will change to an alternative delivery method until further notice. All sessions will be offered via Zoom online conferencing. To join a session, please click on any of the Zoom meeting links below no more than a half hour before the start of the session.

To learn more about Zoom and to practice joining a meeting, check out the Zoom website:

We will offer in person sessions when it is safe for our staff and the public to resume large gatherings. If you have further questions or are unable to attend a Zoom meeting, please email for assistance.