Direct Transfer

Degrees that transfer to a 4-year university or college

Students sitting in front of University of Washington Tacoma's "W" sign

Is your goal to earn your bachelor's degree? Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) associate degrees are a convenient and affordable way to pay for college.

Complete your first 90 credits at SPSCC and then transfer to a 4-year school in Washington as a college junior. Most private Washington schools, and many public colleges out-of-state, will also accept a DTA degree.

Apply Now Request Info

Transfer to an international university

Did you know you can transfer into a bachelor's degree program in another country?

Imagine studying business in France or art in New Zealand. Explore the world and check out our international transfer options.

Learn More

Where do SPSCC graduates go after earning their DTA*?

  • 17% University of Washington
  • 10% Saint Martin's University
  • 9% Washington State University
  • 8% Western Washington University
  • 8% The Evergreen State College

*Based on DTA graduates who transferred in 2019-20

About the statewide Direct Transfer Agreements (DTA)

Statewide, DTA degrees provide students:

  • Priority consideration in the admissions for most humanities and social science majors at public universities ahead of students without a degree.
  • Completion of lower division general education requirements.
  • Credit for all courses completed within the DTA up to and in some cases beyond 90 credits.
  • Opportunity to explore several fields of study through the category of up to 30 credits of elective courses.
  • Opportunity to complete prerequisites for a future major.

Important considerations

In some cases, a DTA degree along with minimum GPA requirements does guarantee entry to 4-year program. This is not guaranteed across all degrees, programs, and schools. Meet with an Educational and Career Planner at SPSCC and the 4-year school you wish to attend for unique requirements.

Students must complete all DTA degree requirements and earn their associate degree in order for all classes to transfer to a 4-year school. If a student wishes to transfer before the DTA is earned, 4-year schools may evaluate a transcript course-by-course.

Major Related Programs (MRP) have special and more specific requirements that must be taken in the first two years in order to progress on time.

Associate in Science – Transfer (AS-T): If you’re a science major, you will need to take more science in your first two years and defer some other general education requirements until after you transfer.

Associate in Applied Science (AAS-T): This degree will transfer to only a very limited set of bachelor's degree programs, including some applied degrees at community colleges or to “upside-down” programs at a few 4-year colleges.