Get Running Start ready
Running Start is a statewide program that allows high school juniors and seniors to attend community college tuition-free, earn college credits, and transfer to most 4-year colleges and universities in Washington.
Facts about Running Start
- More than 21% of SPSCC students are local highschoolers.
- More than 27,000 highschoolers participate statewide in Running Start.
- Running Start students at SPSCC successfully pass 84.9% of their classes (Fall 2017).
- Running Start program grads saved a total of $39 million in tuition in 2017.
- The program is 26 years old—about 10 years older than its students!
- Running Start students can study abroad, join clubs, work on campus, and serve on student leadership.
Running Start stories
What's your Running Start reason?
Save money on college tuition
Start your 4-year experience debt-free. Earning an AA at the same time as your high school diploma and transferring to a university as a junior saves you and your family over $8,000. Save more with Fee Waivers and Book Loans for qualifying students.
"I get more sleep by taking classes later in the day. I'm more independent, choosing my own schedule and planning my years." -Trinh, North Thurston High School
Students are successfully completing 84.9% of their courses at SPSCC, appreciate the dedicated atmosphere on campus, and are even going to study abroad!
"I wanted to challenge myself academically." -Kate, Tumwater High School
Diverse college experience
"My older sister did Running Start so I'm following her steps. There's a great diversity of new friends to make." -Omar, Timberline High School