Get Running Start ready
Running Start is a statewide program that allows high school juniors and seniors to attend community college, earn college credits, and transfer to most 4-year colleges and universities in Washington.
Running Start stories
What's your Running Start reason?
Save money on college tuition
Earn an AA at the same time as your high school diploma, then transfer to a 4-year school as a college junior, saving you and your family $8,000+. Fee Waivers and Book Loans are available to qualifying students.
"I get more sleep by taking classes later in the day. I'm more independent, choosing my own schedule and planning my years." -Trinh, North Thurston High School
Students are successfully completing 84.9% of their courses at SPSCC, appreciate the dedicated atmosphere on campus, and are even going to study abroad!
"I wanted to challenge myself academically." -Kate, Tumwater High School
Diverse college experience
"My older sister did Running Start so I'm following her steps. There's a great diversity of new friends to make." -Omar, Timberline High School
More worth noting about Running Start
- More than 20% of our students (1,239 in fall 2017-18) are local highschoolers.
- Running Start students at SPSCC successfully pass 84.9% of their classes (fall 2017).
- Running Start students can study abroad, join clubs, work on campus, and serve on student leadership.
- More than 27,000 highschoolers participate statewide.
- Program grads saved a total of $39 million in tuition in 2017.
- The program is 25 years old - about 10 years older than its students!