Placement and Transfer of Credit

Steps to Enroll » Step 4: Assess Your Skills

Take a placement test.

The Accuplacer CPT is a computerized college placement test used to assess basic skills and measure skill levels in reading, English, and math. The College Board develops placement tests with help from college professors, and determines what skill levels are required for success in a college environment. The CPT also offers optional Algebra tests for a higher math placement. Results of this test will indicate the most appropriate level of course to enroll in. Low test scores will not keep anyone from enrolling or entering the college. However, low test scores may require that you take one or more quarters of basic skills classes before entering the program of your choice.

College Placement Test Prep

Attend a free test prep workshop to prepare for the math and English placement tests so that you start college on the right foot. Learn strategies to take the Accuplacer, discover effective test-taking strategies, and complete practice questions under the guidance of an expert tutor. Workshops are free and designed to help you save money by placing as high as possible. Ideal for students who have been away from the classroom for a while, or who want to brush up on skills before taking the test. See the Assessment Center for more information.

If a student has taken a placement test and would like to do some practice or studying without taking a lower level class, there is a diagnostic test available. The diagnostic is included in the $25 fee. For an additional $15 a student can access MyFoundationLab (MFL). This is an individualized learning plan based on the results of the diagnostic. Students can go through 10 weeks of modules that will allow them to study the skills needed to improve the scores on the CPT.

Placement Testing is done on a walk-in basis. See the Assessment Center for hours and location information.

Submit transcripts.

SPSCC accepts transfer credits from other programs and colleges and may award credit for training and professional experience.

Complete the Transfer of Credit form when you have credits from accredited colleges, military training (AARTS or SMARTS), the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses, Tech Prep Articulated Programs, or College in High School accredited programs.

Submitting official transcripts:


Hard Copy:
Enrollment Services
South Puget Sound Community College
2011 Mottman Road SW
Olympia WA 98512

See Transfer Credits and Transferring Credits.

Submit placement reciprocity.

If you have documentation showing placement from another community or technical college in Washington State via the ACCUPLACER or COMPASS or ASSET tests, you can submit that placement for equivalency at SPSCC if the scores are less than one year old. Submit to the Assessment Center or Advising Center.